Friday, October 11, 2013

Cruel to be kind

“Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.”

Saw Hamlet last night.

It was great
..........then it was long
..........then it was great again

http://gashakespeare.org/hamlet

It really is a beautiful adaptation, go see it if you can.

I have seen Hamlet a million times, I know we all have but this time was interesting.
Both myself and The Poet seemed to be more in tune to the cultural nuances of the work.

As we were walking out The Poet said "did anyone else notice the cruel to be kind remark?"

YES!!! it really stuck with me. All of it

"sweets to the sweeet"
"Good-night, sweet prince"
"The lady doth protest to much"
"to thine ownself be true"

and YES, cruel to be kind is from Hamlet!!!
"it must be cruel only to be kind"

Our cultural venacular is so linked to great literature.
Read people....it's good for your soul.

Oh and a "really" point about the show.....the costume drapers name for this production is
Cindy Lou Who
That just makes me smile





No comments:

Post a Comment