Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ode to the radiator

It's a cold morning in Atlanta
As I sit here in my snuggie (WHAT!?!) downing coffee like a junkie all I can think about is steam heat
 

As most buildings in NYC are pre-war they are heated with steam.
A massive boiler lives in the basement and the steam rises through various pipes throughout the building.
Steam is fantastic; it's warm, efficient and cheap.

It also makes great noises.
As the cold pipes warm they expand and contract  like a groaning, clicking monster coming to life.

It's a familiar sound of winter and I miss it.
The cat misses it too, he basically lived under the radiator during the cold months, now he just clings to me. It's not good.

Not Max but this is the basic winter pose

Radiant heat gets so hot that there are times you don't even need to turn on the radiator. The water pipes within the house do the trick. Like I said, it's good stuff

You can also scream at your neighbors by smacking one of your pipes with a broom
It will make a horrendous noise that will reverberate through the entire building resulting in a slur of whatever ethnic tongue lives above or below you..............
hmmmm, I miss NYC

This newfangled furnace thing is just not doing the trick. I get it, it's energy efficient and green and all
but..........I'M COLD!!!!

I would like my coal burning, chemical spewing,  highly flammable, risk of explosion boiler back please.

so scary but so right


No comments:

Post a Comment