Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Aunt Jean

The coolest lady I have ever had the pleasure to know just passed away.



My amazing, ornery, loving, bossy, beautiful, demanding Aunt Jean left this world.
Aunt Jean was an amazing lady, and a lady is absolutely what she was.
She lived in NYC for many years and after I moved there we would share stories.
Or rather, I would listen to her cool stories and realize mine paled in comparison
She worked in the Empire State Building in the secretary pool.
Yes!!! She worked in the secretary pool!!!
She would tell me about her tiny little apartment and her lovely dresses with matching gloves.
She often complained that "young people don't know how to dress these days".
She was right, some of the outfits she wore were stunning, just stunning.

In Atlanta she lived in another tiny little apartment at Peachtree Battle.
It had too much furniture, too many mirrors and more plants than should be allowed
in an apartment.
She had those old school cigarette holders and big table top lighters.
I always thought it was so glamorous.
Her husband Pat, built this amazing vanity for her with hot pink fabric and a big mirror. She had more lipstick and stinky perfume than any one woman would ever need.

She had this horrible cat named George.
George hated everyone and would hide in the hall closet.
He was a Siamese and had that awful, grating Siamese meow.
Creepy little cat.

My beautiful Aunt drank too much, smoked like a chimney, and loved people really, really hard.
I remember once she popped me in the mouth.
I deserved it, I was being a teenage smart ass and she reached across the back seat and smacked my lips with the back of her hand.
It didn't hurt but it did shock the hell out of me.
I knew to watch my mouth around Aunt Jean.
She did not take any crap.

She was a tough woman but she was also that one person that would never let you down.
She might yell at you and make you feel awful, but she was going to take care of you when you really needed it. No matter how bad things got, you always knew Aunt Jean would be there.
She was the true matriarch of our family and her absence is almost overwhelming.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment