Tuesday, January 28, 2014

"Manual transmission and boys night out"

or "what happened!?!"
I'm still playing with the title

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

A manual transmission, also known as a manual gearbox, stick shift (for vehicles with hand-lever shifters) or standard transmission is a type of transmission used in motor vehicle applications. It uses a driver-operated clutch engaged and disengaged by a foot pedal (automobile) or hand lever (motorcycle), for regulating torque transfer from the engine to the transmission; and a gear stick operated by foot (motorcycle) or by hand (automobile).
A conventional, 5-speed manual transmission is often the standard equipment in a base-model car; other options include automated transmissions such as an automatic transmission (often a manumatic), a semi-automatic transmission, or a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

I am a proponent of boys night out (girls night out too, but these are two VERY different things)

I know many women think that when men get together it's all sex talk and boobs,
but I have found that its usually movie quotes, "smell my fart" jokes and ridiculous amounts of alcohol and whatever "that dude in the bathroom" has.

I don't say that to imply men are simple......but men can be simple when they are in a pack.

Ladies, this "lets get stinking drunk and act like animals" is a necessary thing for most men
and I think most women should never see it.

No woman wants to see the father of her children so drunk he can barley stand, can't form sentences,
may or may not be naked and could be covered in vomit and piss.
It happens.

Again, not all men partake to such an extent but I've seen it and it's not pretty.

My one rule about boy's night out is.......I don't want to know.

Basically, go out, do whatever crazy stuff you need to do, and don't call me.

If you get arrested, have bail money,
If the designated drive messes up, call a cab.
In other words, have fun, take care of your own, don't make it my problem.

Well last night
or I should more accurately say this morning, around 3:00am to be exact
I got a frantic phone call from one of my dear, dear friends.

She was panicked
(it was 3:00am so I was a bit panicked as well)

Apparently, husband was out with the boys,
designated driver/owner of car decided to get smashed and is now passed out.
Car is manual transmission.

REALLY
REALLY......NO ONE CAN DRIVE A STICK SHIFT!?!


Sidebar,
My loving and super intelligent father insisted I learn to drive a stick shift.
First three cars I owned were 5 speed.
Actually the first new car I bought had to be special ordered because I wanted a manual transmission.
I like them, they are fun to drive.
Oh, and if you ever travel to another country......if you want an automatic, you are going to pay out the................

Any who.....by the time I got to Midway the car was 1/2 on the sidewalk 1/2 in the street with three guys and my dear friend standing there just staring at it. Owner of car was passed out in back seat
It was a sad sight.

I slowly got the car off the sidewalk, back on all four tires and piled the lot into the car.
Dear friend drove my car as the thought of having semi conscious, drunk, possibly vomit spewing men in my car was unacceptable.

All got home safe, little 5 speed probably needs to be aligned but no worse for the wear and I got to drive a manual :)
(it would have been better had it not been the wee small hours of the morning but what are you going to do)

I will be offering manual transmission driving lessons this weekend.
If you see a small silver golf around Metropolitan, expext delays and stalls at the red lights.






No comments:

Post a Comment