Sunday, April 28, 2013

PROMOTED!!!!!

I got a promotion!!!!! Finally

Property management was not my career of choice. I had a great career with  a huge international company where "membership has it's privileges". I would not say it was a dream job, but it allowed me to travel the world and make a nice amount of pocket change in the process. Until a little over four years ago.

We all knew things were changing. It was like watching those National Geographic shows. You know when the heard of gazelle gets really jumpy right before the lions pounce. People were just, scared. We made it through the 2008 fiasco but things were still not back to normal. These second cuts started slowly without much fan fair. Suddenly Jen in accounting was gone, then the IT dept was cut in half.

When I was "let go" I had that uneasy optimism "everything will be fine" "I've always been able to get a job" "this is just a temporary set-back".
Well kids, I couldn't find a job. It was terrifying. I was applying everywhere, in all states. For the first time I realized why families separated for work. Why I had friends who's husbands were working in Texas while they were here with the kids.

I pulled the 401k and the inheritance from my Dad's death and started paying bills with it. Things were really bad. I finally got a nibble in Greenville so I needed to meet with my landlord about possibly breaking my lease.
You know how they say timing is everything.......well that is absolutely true. The day I walked into the office to discuss my lease was the same day the assistant gave notice. The pay was not even close to what I was used to, the industry was insane to say the least and I would be at entry level. However, it was a job and I had already tightened my belt so tight, adjusting to the reduced salary was not that bad. In addition, I got a break on my rent......bonus. I have learned the business over the past few years and I have had some small victories but still, things have been............tight financially speaking.

I realize my story is a very typical one these days. There are a lot of us. I don't look like I'm broke, I drive a decent car, fully paid off; I own my own condo, purchased a 628sq ft foreclosure for 44K to stabilize my housing costs,  I shop, even on occasion at Whole Foods. But if you look closely, you see it, I don't have a smart phone, my "ipod" is an old Motorola and I have not had cable in years (that one is never coming back.......only a sucker pays for that crap). I have my hair done at a really sweet ladies home for a huge discount. It's the little things, but if you look, it's there.

Friday I got a big promotion and an ever bigger pay raise. It will be difficult, I am basically taking a three level leap and to be honest, I don't know if I can do it. It's a lot of responsibility in an industry where I am still learning the ropes. What I do know is I can breath for the first time in years. I got in my car Friday after work and just cried. Not a sad or joyous cry just, relief, like the weight of the world has been lifted. It is still a far cry from my previous income but it will start the process back.

No comments:

Post a Comment