Monday, April 22, 2013

The kindness of strangers

Yesterday was an incredibly beautiful day here. Not too hot, not too cold, sun shinning, all around great day.
So you can imagine my disappointment when I pulled onto Monroe to head over to Dale's 50ISH birthday and my car did not want to go. It just died. No announcement, no lights, no smoke, just dead.

Luckily, It started up again and I was able to get it back to my humble abode without incident. But now what, I can't drive this thing and have it cut out at 60 miles an hour on I-85 (ok 80, who am I kidding, truckers don't call Atlanta The Watermelon 500 for nothing).
So now the task of finding an open garage on Sunday...................................................................................................................................


........




.........


Yeah, not gonna happen. So onto phone calls. You know when you call someone and you are in need and they are already on their first beer and settling in for a great Sunday.
"well, do you NEED me to come get you? "
"I'll come get you if you NEED me too, but I mean I'm already at the lake and............."

No, don't come get me, it's fine. I'm safe and the car is safe and everything is fine, enjoy the lake. Although that was through a grit toothed smile.

So, now I punt and it works. Not one, not two but three complete (and I am talking complete) strangers came to my aid. A neighbor gave me the number of another neighbor who took my call and agreed to look at my car Monday.

Yay, progress started, now I can relax

So I go about my day and head down to The Park......beautiful.......beautiful day. I live in a walking neighborhood so it's actually nice to be without a car.

Susan was kind enough to take me on an errand run and then we sat in front of the big house drinking wine. It turned out to be a great day after all.

BUT ITS GETS BETTER. At around 7pm I get a text from an unknown number it says "is your car the red ford?" Yes, yes it is. Apparently it has spread through the grapevine that my car has died and a past gentlemen friend of mine has sent over a young man with a mobile garage. This guy changes my spark plugs. cleans out the fuel injection system right there on the street! Even he says "its just a band aid and you need to find out why it cut out" but still, such a nice thing.

To boot, mechanic number one just called and will be picking up my car around 1ish today!!
How many mechanics do you know that make house. Apparently I now know two :)
Did I mention, I have never met any of these people. They are not old buddies are pals, these are just total strangers helping another total stranger in a time of need.

You know what they say, if you expect good from people, that is what you will find and I have certainly found some wonderful people recently :)

No comments:

Post a Comment