Thursday, June 13, 2013

Bad Ass Grandma

Yesterday I had the pleasure of lunch with the amazing Kathy.

Kathy is my realtor and given my recent financial "issues" she treated me to lunch at Cafe 246 in Decatur.

http://www.no246.com/

This place is really good, the pork sandwich thing with fancy au jus.......DAMN, the french fries.........for real's y'all. I took em home, and you know french fries are not known as yummy left overs.
Plus the space is really beautiful, I just love a good space!

Anyway.........Kathy is an older woman. I would say late 60's early 70's. She's feisty, I like that. She's about 4ft10 with a mop of white hair with a thick Jersey accent.. She is ADORABLE!!
Plus, she's a great realtor. She kept my deal alive when I was basically saying things like "you tell those bleeping, bleeping, bleeps to take this new addendum and shove it up their up bleep"

She would let me sleep on it, call me the next day and plow forward.
Because of her, I am probably the only person in my neighborhood sitting on a 50 to 60K profit. I love Kathy :)
She looked at me over piles of tax records and comps and said "You're going to make a profit if you choose to sell. You're the first person I've said that to in about 4 years"
The grin on her face was priceless.

Sidebar - I found a duplex in Decatur for a great price. Hmmmmm, I think I like the idea of being a landlady.

So Kathy got to talking about politics and life in general. Ayn Rand came up (she always comes up when we are together for some reason).
Kathy then told me of her latest "you did what!?!" adventure.
This little woman is always getting into shit.

Those in the area may remember this story.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/stolen-ambulance-crashes-into-building-in-dekalb-c/nX8kn/

This was pretty scary because I know people in the neighborhood and when it happened I was calling and doing the phone tree stuff; "did you talk to so and so?" "everybody is ok, right?" It was scary.

Well apparently, Kathy and her neighbors were having a little block party on this day. So in the middle of all the neighborhood fun, some guy comes running down the street stating "everything is fine". Well when a stranger comes running through your block party exclaiming "everything is fine"........you know everything is NOT fine. The men folk perked up a bit, gotta love the men folk.

Someone yells out, "Hey Kathy, he just ran into your house"
Well little 4ft10inch Kathy gets up and marches over to her house, with the men folk BEHIND her.
The guy had locked her front door so she quickly went around the back knowing that that door was unlocked. Leaving the guys scratching their heads and calling 911.

So my little friend marches into her house after a crazy man.
She said "when I got in the house I could see him in the living room so I yelled out "what are doing""
"Kathy, you could have been killed"
"Oh, he wasn't going to hurt me, he was far away from me anyway"
Oh, but of course, distance, because guns only work at 3 feet (he wasn't armed, but who knew that in the moment)

In Kathy's defense, she was a social worker for many years and has encountered many dangerous situations. 

She said the guy just stood there so she just stood there.
Apparently by this time two of the neighborhood men folk had made it into the house and were, again, BEHIND her. Although one did have the sense to grab a knife from the kitchen.

As it turns out, this poor soul did have mental issues and was not a real threat to anyone. He just dove off the deep end and some innocent people happened to be in the way when he decided to do it. I actually think going into Kathy's house may have been Divine intervention. He could have walked into the wrong house and been blown to oblivion.

I did however, do my duty and give Kathy a little talking too. "Please do not go after the crazy people that break into your house.....OK!!!!"

The moral of the story is this........most little old ladies are bad ass. They have seen shit, they can make things with vaseline and whisky that will heal you, and they are usually not afraid of ANYTHING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment