Monday, May 5, 2014

Update on scary

First I want to say thank you for all the nice emails and kind words.
I had a hard time translating the Thai but I think I got the gist and thank you.

To catch everyone up I have had a scary few weeks.
I basically woke up in a pool of blood twice.
You would think once would get my attention but I am apparently hard-headed.

Now I am not one to air all of my dirty laundry on this here blog thing but I have come to a realization in the last few weeks.
Most people blow off the little signs that something is wrong.
I did, for a very long time.
I've had some issues that should have been looked at months ago.
Ladies I'm not here to preach or tell you how to take care of yourself but I can say that not speaking to my doctors earlier may cost me and I am very frightened.

I have also realized that what is happening to me is not as crazy as I originally thought.
According to my doctor this is pretty common and a lot women do exactly what I did.

When I awoke in the we small hours of the morning I am embarrassed to say....I thought I pissed the bed..
I was cold and wet.
It was shocking and humiliating
When I flipped on the bedside lamp things went from embarrassing to sheer panic.
There was blood everywhere.
It was horrifying and I had no idea what to do.
I reached out to a friend but I was so embarrassed that I didn't say anything. I didn't say "help" I didn't say "I'm bleeding" I just let the phone go dead and sat on the bathroom floor crying. It was awful.

What happened next is where most of us go wrong.
After cleaning up I realized, I was no longer bleeding.
Whatever had happened was a fluke episode and I was fine.
I told myself, it must have something to do with my age and hormone levels changing.
"there's nothing wrong, its just hormones"
I changed the sheets and went back to bed.

It happened again about a week later.
The second episode was even scarier but this time I did not turn a blind eye.
I have had a few biopsies, a CT scan and an MRI
I have another series of scans Wednesday and another biopsy.
Gynecological biopsies are no fun.
I mean I cant imagine any biopsy is fun but these are just horrible.

I feel pretty positive.
They have been able to give me a medication to stop the bleeding and have me on iron to help with anemia
My energy is back....bleeding a lot will make you sleepy, and the tests that are back look good.

Where I am having regret is not opening my mouth over a year ago when sex became painful and my periods got completely unpredictable.
I hear it from every woman I know, "I have not had a pap in years" "I am just so busy", "its too hard to get an appointment". We have a tendency to make every excuse in the book when it comes to our own health but harp on our friends and family about getting to the doctor.
Women's intuition is real.......you know it is ladies, when that little voice in your head talks to you, you have to listen and act

Again, I want to thank everyone for your sweet messages. I'll give another update in a few days.

and now back to stupid sayings, funny cats and my favorite music videos :)




No comments:

Post a Comment