Monday, August 12, 2013

Apparently people are finding my blog by searching Achilles rupture so......

Since I've had this injury twice, I thought I might share some pointers on how to get through it

Disclaimer - I am not a medical professional, all information provided is my opinion and my experience only. It is not medical advice or diagnosis. Always follow your Doctor and or medical providers advice.


 So you think you ruptured you Achilles tendon.

I am so very sorry but I may be able to help.

13 years ago I ruptured my  right tendon and 8 weeks ago I ruptured my left tendon.
I know, I do have pretty legs, they just don't work that well.
While I am not a medical professional, I do have some experience in how to make your
day to day life a little better.

Start at the start, If you suspect you have a partial or complete rupture seek medical attention immediately. Your foot and ankle need to be stabilized.
Even if you are not in pain and can walk (if you can walk, it's gonna be wonky), SEE A DOCTOR.
Both times I have had this injury I did not have any pain immediatly, just mild discomfort.
It happens, not everyone has the excruciating pain described by most.
Not sure if it's a tendon......lets examine (if you're squeamish......stop reading)

You are walking, running or doing some other impact activity, you suddenly hear a loud POP (oh yes, you WILL hear it) as you are already in motion, chances are you will take at least one more step with the injured leg. At this point you may have a very strange sensation.
I have always described it in this way; like walking on a stair where my heel is firmly on the stair but my toes are hanging off the edge. I feel like my toes are in midair even though they are touching the ground.
At this point most people fall down.
It's like your brain says "hey, you're foot is not working, fall down"
Again you may have pain or you may not, but your foot won't work so good.

SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.
Don't wait until morning, or "tomorrow night is better for me" or whatever........go to the Doctor, right now.

If it is a rupture, chances are it will be surgically repaired or put it in a cast. This is something you and your medical provider will decide.
I had surgery for both of mine.
Either way, you are now without the use of your leg for an extended period of time.
(Today is August 12, 2013, my rupture happened June 25, 2013. I can start putting minimal weight on my foot while wearing a massive boot at the end of this week. In other words, I've been on crutches for almost two months)

So, you are now home from the ER or surgery. Either way, you probably feel like crap.

First things first, build  a nest (or have someone build it for you)
What do I mean......well, chances are you are not going to move so much the first few days.
It's hard, the crutches are difficult, moving your entire body weight with your arms is not easy.
You will get used to it, but at first.........it's hard.
So you need a nice comfy nest.
This nest is usually bed, but as most of us have never stayed in bed for extended times, there are some things you need.

I make a "recovery survival kit"
A medium or large make-up bag or any easy to handle bag with a zipper.

I recommend it contain the following;
Your pain medication (know where this is at all times)
Baby Wipes or medical bathing cloths (like I said, you are not going to feel like getting up. Taking a whore bath after laying in bed for 24 hours can actually be refreshing)
Get yourself some of those little disposable toothbrushes

http://www.colgatewisp.com/wisp/HomePage
or at least dental floss and a tube of toothpaste, just so you don't feel super gross.
Whatever face or body lotion you like or both.
Deodorant (again, avoiding super grossness)
Anything else that makes you comfortable; like chewing gum? throw in some gum, really like that retro Evian face spray? get it, miss sleeping with your childhood teddy? steal your kids.
You want those basic hygiene and comfort items within arms reach.
Get yourself a laptop or a tablet, TV (if you can't get a TV in the bedroom, just steam on the computer) and lots of books.
Oh, if you have had surgery with general anesthesia; I HIGHLY recommended getting throat spray.
The first day or so after being intubated can be uncomfortable.

So that's it for the next 24 hours or so.
Just lie still, take your cat naps and try to be as nice to yourself as possible.

Taking your first bath is next.
Bathing in a leg cast is a lesson in patience, but we'll talk about that later.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment