Thursday, August 22, 2013

When in doubt.......become a vampire

I enrolled in phlebotomy courses today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlebotomy

and tonight the lovely and talented Lisa let me put a needle in her hand and draw blood.
Its ok though because she got to stab me in the arm right after.

Yes, I thought it was a little much for the first day too but I learned a lot.......

A) sticking a needle in someone's hand is nerve racking
2) it did not hurt when Lisa stuck me in the arm, which is strange.......


Why is it strange? Well Lisa, my other classmates and myself have never stuck anyone with a needle (on purpose) and we all thought it was surprisingly painless.

If totally unskilled people can walk into a classroom get minimal training and then safely and relatively painlessly insert needles, why does it always hurt like hell when I have blood taken?

Anyway, I'm super excited (and overwhelmed.....it's a lot of information) and can't wait to start spinning samples.

So stay on your toes, the next time you have to give a blood sample.......it might be me stabbing you in the arm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment