Saturday, August 24, 2013

Definite contender

I won't say tonight has been the best night of my life

but......it has been the best night in a veeeeeeery long time.

I got to hang with some incredible musicians and I got to sing, like I used to.

When I say used to, think childhood.

You see I have a nice singing voice but I have horrible stage fright. This week I met a man who has taught me how to deal with it. More importantly he has taught me how to control it. Now when I sing in front of people it's my voice, not the craggy thing that happens because my muscles are so tight my vocal chords can't do what they do. It's an amazing thing.

Well tonight I was invited to a beautiful farm just south of Atlanta.
It was exactly like you imagine it. Green rolling hills, big white main house with an awesome porch, lots of barns and storage houses out back. Just beautiful.

There were about 15 musicians. Tons of guitars, mandolins and banjos.....it was perfect.
They even had horses hanging out in the pasture (another massive love, but I'll save that obsession for later). I could not have asked for a more idyllic scene.

I started out just observing and then someone piped up and said "I thought you invited her here to sing"
Wait, what!?!
Yes, I had been invited as THE singer.....no pressure.

The first go was Patsy Cline "Fall to Pieces"
Oh sure, Patsy Cline.....piece of cake (are they kidding)
My new mentor just looked at me and said "breath like I told you and close your eyes"
I sang that song just like I do alone in my house. When I was done everybody was nodding and smiling. There were several "that was beautiful", "nice job". I could not believe it, I didn't crack, it worked.
After a few songs I was even able to open my eyes and play along.
It was just fantastic.

He has a studio so maybe next time we'll do a little recording :)



No comments:

Post a Comment