Thursday, May 2, 2013

Had to bring out the big guns today and had to stay at work until 8pm. I do not like being on the property for 10 hours. It makes me a little crabby.

You see, tomorrow a lovely young lady is moving into her first apartment. I love these type of move-ins. She is so excited, her family is so excited.

The greatest thing about my job is being able to help people start something new or start over. I love that!

Unfortunately when she leased the apartment the only one I had to rent was a recent skip.
In property management skipping is bad. It basically means, the current resident left in the middle of the night without taking any of their crap. And it's usually exactly that....a lot of crap.
Skips are horrible! This one was no exception; Shit brown sofa with no legs, a couple of mattresses on the floor, clothing everywhere, holes in the walls, cigarette butts on every surface, several bongs, pipes and other paraphernalia that I would know nothing about (funny, after the maintenance crew did the initial walk-through all the bongs and pipes were gone........I wonder what happened to them, it's a mystery.............................).
 They basically trashed the place, and the smell. I don't think these guys ever cracked a window, they just sat in there smoking all day.

Oh well, its all in a day's work, trash it out, repair the holes, paint it, clean it, change the carpet AND pad (cigarettes stink), repair the broken light fixtures...BOOM......beautiful apartment!

Oh if only it were that easy. You see folks, a building has a threshold for the amount of cigarette smoke it can handle and recover from. IT GETS IN THE SHEETROCK!!!
I however was certain that we had tackled the odor beast in this unit and it would be fresh as a spray painted daisy for Friday's move.

Well, my trusty punch tech came in late yesterday and says that unit ,blah,blah,blah, is not smelling so good. WHAT!?! What do you mean, it's basically a new apartment.
 I hop on the cart and ride over with a can of Kronic Killer.

Sidebar; there is a product called Kronic Killer. Yes, it's used to douse the smell of weed, yes, the former residents were pot smokers but this smell is stale cigarette smoke, there is no mistaking it.

I douse the apartment in it. It smells like fake lemons and clorox, it's awful, but when it wears off, its great, no more smell.

You can imagine my unhappiness when I opened the door to the apartment this morning and was knocked over by stale cigarettes!! WHAT!?! HOW!?!

So now I have to order an ozone treatment. Ozone treatments are amazing, it basically gets into the nooks and cranies and discombulates the smelly molocules. It's very scientific and fancy and I have no idea how it actually works. What I do know is its expensive and it usually takes a few days. I don't have a few days, I have today.......only today.

Mr. Wonderful shows up lickety split, sets up his little magic machines (yes, we needed multiples) and promptly informs me the price for added said machines. Yeah, yeah just do it.

So tonight my fingers are crossed. If the smell is there in the morning, I am out of time and I have no where else to move this little girl.

Oh also, if you are a smoker..............crack a f%*king window.....jeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment