Monday, May 27, 2013

old stuff

I have never considered myself a writer but I have always written.

Lately I have been cleaning out some things and I found this.

It's a little disjointed, but I like it. Maybe I will start working on it again


My apartment is so small. There is a small twin bed, two windows, a dresser, a sink and a hot plate. seriously a hot plate. The sink has a naked bulb above it and the bathroom is down the hall.
I'm not so sure about this.
Wait, get a grip, the apartment sucks, yes, but the building is wonderful. There is an amazing roof garden, with trees and beautiful flowers and the facade of the building rises up to form these incredible arches. Oh, there is also a perfect view of the Empire State Building.  I sit at dusk watching the city come to life, That’s the thing about New York, it comes alive at night, you can taste it.  The hum of electricity, the ebb and flow of the crowds. The drudgery of the day is giving way to the energy of the night and it is glorious. The city almost sings. So here I sit, alone on a roof in Manhattan, about to begin the most incredible journey of my life, but where to begin. Hmm, maybe a little walk is in order. I head towards the elevator and as the doors open I see Rufus, the door man. He is obviously agitated and looks at me furiously
"Why you be up here when you know I'm bringing your bags"
"I'm sorry, it’s my first night here, I just wanted to se- " 
"Never mind that, come down, we can't leave them bags in the hall, someone will take em". 
Rufus rushes me onto the elevator, he's a little pushy. As the doors open on my floor, there is an old woman digging thru my bags Rufus bellows at her
 "SHOO, Get away from there"
I'm in too much shock to do anything. The woman scurries off down the hall. Rufus turns towards me and laughs
"Oh child, don't worry, she's harmless, but she'll take your stuff. Watch her" "Come on now, lets get this inside."
Rufus tells me her name is Margaret Simmons, she has lived here since 1958. He has been working here for 15 years and had never been inside her apartment.  We are not in Kansas anymore kiddies. For some reason I don't feel like a walk anymore, that warm loving feeling that New York had earlier has suddenly given way to a big, dark scary place.  I think I will sleep tonight and try again tomorrow.  

 WOW it is loud here. The hum never stops and it gets louder as the night goes on. There is no AC in my apartment so closing the window is out of the question. But honestly, it doesn't matter, open or closed the constant noise is going to get in. I roll over and notice that smell again. Great, it's not a one-time thing. 
Must find coffee. I head down to the corner store, or as it is called here, the Bodega. I ask the man for a bagel and coffee.
"Regular?"
"what?"
"regular, the coffee!"
"Oh, um no, milk and sugar please" 
He snickers and makes my coffee. I have obviously made a cultural error. I leave with my little brown bag and blue coffee cup slightly confused.  I head west, I know the library is somewhere that way.  I make it to the beautiful steps and stop to eat my breakfast. Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew, maybe this is all a mistake, I don't know anyone here, its big and scary and overwhelming.
 Damn this is a good bagel.

"Good morning Blondie". The guy at the bodega calls me that now, I don't know why, but I like having a nickname.  The job hunt is exhausting.  Everywhere I go people want to remind me how hard NYC is. The funny thing is, I have yet to meet anyone originally from here. What; like you can make it but I can't, do I look that weak!  It's ok, something great will come along.
In the meantime I have discovered the coolest thing. You can decorate your entire apartment off the street. Last week I saw a little kitchen table and chair next to a pile of trash.  It was perfect, granted it only had one chair but I don't think more than one person can fit in my apartment anyway. Yesterday I found a great piece of art, it had a little food on it, but I cleaned it up and it's wonderful.  I am also meeting people, There are two Japanese students that live down the hall, Yuki and Sano, Saano, Sono, whatever. They want to take me out. They speak very little English but they love DISCO, so they are taking me to a Disco. Should be fun.  

Its 10pm and Yuki and whatsherface are no where to be found. I am so pissed. I was really looking forward to "the disco".
Maybe a little take out and a movie.  As I am heading out the door I see Yuki and Saaawhatever. "Hi" "Hi" "Hi" wow Japanese girls smile and giggle a lot. "I thought we were going out" More smiling and giggling "You so silly, it early to go, we come by your place at midnight, OK".
Ok, good, I was now looking forward to take out.
Yum, pot stickers are so good and now I can get them 24 hours a day right on the corner. I love it here.

Knock, knock, giggle….wow 12:01, punctual. "Hi" "Hi" "Hi" "Why you wearing THAT!" exclaims Yuki. I have on jeans, a cute t-shirt and black flats. "What's wrong with this"
“No, it all wrong".
They open my closet and pull out everything black and small. They begin throwing pieces of clothing around my place, "Maybe, Yes, no,no,no" "Oh this very good". Whatsherface is holding a tiny black skirt that I have not worn since 1986.
"There is no way my butt is going to fit in that thing" 
"you not that big, it will work"; Is that a compliment?
20 minutes later and I look like a whore. I have on a skirt that barely covers my ass, a low cut blouse and purple high heel ankle boots.
I am certain to meet my future husband in this outfit.
The girls completely ignore my protests and shove me into the cab. We show up at what appears to be an abandoned building but for all the people hanging outside. Everyone is wearing jeans and cute flats, I feel like an ass. Yuki pushes past the crowd and kisses a very tall, masculine woman with blue hair. Just like that we are headed up stairs to the sound of thumping music, oh I get it now. After paying the $20.00 to get into this delightful establishment, I am now being told my watered down vodka and cranberry served in an elegant plastic cup is $12.00.
"WHAT?"
"$12"
"NO I JUST WANT ONE DRINK"
"YEAH HONEY, $12"
Holy shit! In addition I have lost Yuki and whatsherface. I see whatsherface an hour later in the balcony dancing with some guy. She waves and makes a dancing /flailing motion towards me. This is really not my scene.
Then I see him, he's cute, he's smiling, I'm smiling Oh god he's coming over. "Hi" "Hi" "Can I buy you a drink?" "Sure"
Oh this is good, he's tall, he's good looking but not outrageously beautiful, good.
"What's your name?"
 'Tat"
 "What?"
"Tat, like tattoo"
"Your name is tattoo!"
 "Just call me T"
 "Oh, I'm David"
 "Nice to meet you, David"
 "Do you want to go somewhere we can talk?"
 "Oh, does this place have a lounge?"
 "What?"
 "Somewhere we can talk, a lounge?"
 He has a strange smile on his face and leans in very close to me.
"No, do you want to get out of here?"
He pulls away from me and gives me THAT look. What! I have spent all of two seconds with this man and he thinks he is getting lucky.
"I am not really comfortable with that but if you'd like my phone number I can-"
He's walking away. What just happened, I am so confused and very aware of how naked I am.       

 I wake up with a pounding headache and techno still thumping in my ears. That horrible smell is back. GOOD GOD, WHAT IS THAT!!?!? Ugh, whatever, this will not deter me. I have a meeting today with the Vice President. That’s right I am now employed at a fantastic international company….and I am running late, crap.
"Morning Blondie"
"Morning Gaspar".  I don't even have to order anymore, coffee -milk and sugar, toasted bagel cream cheese, familiar is good.
"Big day huh?" Gaspar asks. It must be the awesome suit I am wearing.
"Oh Gaspar it's so great" I say as I am heading for the door "I may get invited to go to Paris . I will keep you posted".  
"Good luck Blondie"  I hear as I head out the door. I must say I do look fantastic. I have on a gorgeous tan suit with brown snakeskin heels. The heels aren't real snakeskin but so what, someday they will be.  


No comments:

Post a Comment