Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

As I grow older this day changes for me. I think this is natural.

We grow up and realize what this day is actually commemorating, what it stands for.
It's a day to be grateful for what you have and humble to what strangers have given for you.

I have talked a lot about my travels, but there is one visit that always comes back to me, especially on this day.

I was on a business trip to London and had a rare afternoon to myself. I was walking along the Thames, it was a beautiful day, sunny, which is not as rare as people make out to be. I turned off the river and started to head back into the city. That's when I saw it, St Pauls Cathedral.

I was ten years old when Lady Diana married Prince Charles here. To say I was swept up is an understatement. This was Cinderella, a real life Cinderella. This building held a sort of magic for me. As I stood there staring at the massive steps, my inner ten year old was squealing and jumping up and down.

The Cathedral is beautiful, not at all like an Abby. The Medieval Abby's have their own beauty, but they are very different. A little dark and imposing, with sometimes creepy corners. I have never been in one that I did not feel a crushing power. St Pauls Cathedral is light. It streams in, washing the marble. There is an expanse of air and space, it is beautiful.

I walked toward the altar and suddenly found myself in the American Memorial Chapel.

I have since learned about this place but at the time, I had no idea it was there. I just remember reading the words
'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE AMERICANS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN MILITARY OPERATIONS FROM THE BRITISH ISLES"

I was standing in a shrine dedicated to American soldiers. To be in a foreign country, seeing a memorial to my fellow citizens is overwhelming.
I know there are countless memorials around the globe, but this one is a little different. It was funded by the people of Great Britain.

http://www.stpaulsusa.org/Pages/AmericanConnection.aspx


Ok so the bumming out portion is done. Go out today, eat massive amounts of meats and cheeses, drink a Budweiser (yes Bud sucks, but if you sprinkle some salt in it its not so bad), play with the kids and kiss your Mom, it's Memorial Day!!!!

and.......the next time you see a soldier, say "Thank you"

Update: My beautiful and inteligent Mother just posted this on FB. remember, she's a teacher and a smartypants ;)

Q. What is the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day?

A. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALLthose who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment