Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mmmmmmm..........

The weather sucks today!!!!!

It's cold and raining and no one wants to come out and play :(

So I have been cooking. Now I don't cook often, but when I do........it is damn good.
Today I thought I would bake some red velvet cupcakes but while at Publix I decided, no, I will make a savory cupcake.

Savory cupcakes are a little tricky. I have tried them with a biscuit batter but I think a pancake batter works better. I'm still tweaking it.

4 cups pancake batter
6 strips bacon
2 tablespoons maple syrup
fresh chive to taste
8 oz mascarpone (its the yummy sweet cheese in tiramisu)
cinnamon to taste
vanilla to taste

Cook the bacon and put it to the side. Do not blot the bacon or put it on a paper towel, you want the grease. Also keep the drippings, you use them later.
Pre-heat the oven to 450
spray your cupcake pan with canola oil, you can use cupcake foils but I don't

Mix the pancake batter, chives, cinnamon and vanilla. I say to taste because you might like more cinnamon than I do.
Add about two tablespoons of bacon grease to the mix (I know)
Then crumble three strips of bacon into the mix. (I KNOW!!!)
Reduce the oven to 350
Spoon the mix into the cupcake pan and bake approx 10-12min (until a toothpick comes out clean)

In a medium bowl mix the mascarpone, 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Crumble the remaining three strips of bacon and mix into the "icing"

Let the cupcakes cool for about 10 min and then add the "icing". Garnish with a little bacon and chive.

Yummy!!
Update: the neighbors loved the cupcakes and the maintenance staff at work ate the remaining batch in about  5 minutes this morning. I think next time I will add just the slightest hint of chili pepper. They needed a tiny little kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment